I am a Reader at the School of Chemistry, University of Edinburgh, with interests in the use of technology in chemistry education, school to university transition, practical work in chemistry, and academic writing. Together with colleagues in the College of Science and Engineering, I am a member of the Centre for Science Education.
Link to School Homepage.
I also try to be a historian, and you can read about my book on the history of Enniskerry at this website and more recently a study of early school houses in County Wicklow now available on Google books. I also maintain a blog on some aspects of the history of Dublin’s streets. I’ve recently joined the Advisory Board of the journal Studies in Arts and Humanities.
- 2015 Reader, Chemistry Education, University of Edinburgh
- Editorial Board Member, Education in Chemistry
- 2014 Member of the Royal Irish Academy Physical, Chemical and Mathematical Sciences Committee
- 2013 Guest Editor, Special Issue of Chemistry Education Research and Practice (on Technology in Chemistry Education)
- 2013 Teaching Fellowship, Dublin Institute of Technology
- 2012 Royal Society of Chemistry Higher Education Teaching Award
- Member of DIT College of Science and Health Board and Academic Council
- 2011 Jennifer Burke Award for Innovation in Learning and Teaching
- 2010-2011 Teaching Fellowship, Dublin Institute of Technology
- 2009 National Academy for Integration of Research, Teaching and Learning Teaching Excellence Award
- 2009 – 2012, Programme Chair DT203 Forensic and Environmental Analysis
- 2009 – 2011 MSc (Applied e-Learning)
- 2008 – 2009 MA (3rd Level Teaching and Learning)
- 2004 Appointed to DIT
- 2003 – 2004 Post-Doctoral Fellow, Dublin City University
- 1998 – 2002 PhD (Dublin)
- 1994 – 1998 BA Natural Sciences, University of Dublin, Trinity College
- Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry with Chartered Chemist (CChem) status
Member of the European Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Education Network
- Outgoing-Chair, RSC Republic of Ireland Local Section (former Honorary Secretary)
- Member of the Advisory Panel of the journal Chemistry Education Research and Practice
- Member of the Editorial Board, Education in Chemistry
- School of Chemistry, University of Edinburgh, Joseph Black Building, David Brewster Road, Edinburgh, Scotland EH9 3FJ.
- E: michael.seery [AT] ed.ac.uk