I am planning to summarise some useful links I come across each week. How long will this last? Probably two weeks.
Flipped teaching gathering apace:
- An EiC article on flipping lectures by Simon Lancaster and David Read
- A paper in CERP on student attitudes to flipping lectures
- An annotated list of flipped class tools and resources from The Peer Instruction blog
Thinking about chemistry education:
- Marcy Towns editorial in J Chem Ed which includes some issues for consideration in chemical education research [free access]
- I started a journal club! Gaining some interest and open to ideas as to how it works. This week I looked at a great paper on building a study skills session into the curriculum to develop metacognitive strategies. Suzanne Fergus added a useful note to say that the “Rule of One” was useful to give to students regarding reviewing material: Recap 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week. I also learned from her about the Ebbinghaus forgetting curve.
- Education in Chemistry is heading to Irish schools
- Lisa Darley spotted that the Teaching Council are providing access to Journal of Chemical Education
- ChemEd Ireland, 19th October, details and flyer published by Limerick Institute of Technology.