Research interests currently focusses on two areas:
- Supporting student learning – this work explores the use of online learning resources that students use in preparing for and reviewing lectures and laboratory work. Of interest is the relationship of students’ study patterns with the use of e-resources, in order to gain intelligence on the value and usefulness of supporting resources we provide to students. We are interested in student learning journeys, and exploring usage through the emerging field of learning analytics.
- Laboratory education – the laboratory plays a central role in chemistry education and is the major point of contact with students. Work here focusses on how students prepare for laboratory classes, as well as the design of the laboratory curriculum to promote inquiry and develop an understanding of the nature of science.
Last Updated: Dec ’18
Education in Chemistry articles
As well as articles published in their magazine, given in the list below, I have written a lot of articles for the website of Education in Chemistry, which are compiled at this link on their website.
- Michael Seery and Christine O’Connor, E-learning and Blended Learning in Chemistry Education, in Chemistry Education: Best Practices, Innovative Strategies and New Technologies, Javier Garcia-Martinez, Elena Serrano-Torregrosa, (Eds), Wiley-VCH, 2015 (Link to book’s homepage)
- T. L. Overton, B. Byers and M. K. Seery, Context- and Problem-based Learning in Higher Level Chemistry Education, in Innovative Methods in Teaching and Learning Chemistry in Higher Education, I. Eilks and B. Byers (Eds.), RSC: London, 2009.
- S. W. Bennett, M. K. Seery and D. Sovegjarto-Wigbers, Practical Work in Higher Level Chemistry Education, in Innovative Methods in Teaching and Learning Chemistry in Higher Education, I. Eilks and B. Byers (Eds.), RSC: London, 2009. View this chapter in Google Books.
Papers (Education and Education Research)
See my Google Scholar page for all publications including those in metal oxide photochemistry.
- Seery, M. K.; Agustian, H. Y.; Zhang, Z., A framework for learning in the chemistry laboratory, Israel Journal of Chemistry, 2019, DOI: 10.1002/ijch.201800093. (Invited article)
- Seery, M. K.; Jones, A. B.; Kew, W.; Mein, T., Unfinished recipes: structuring upper division laboratory work to scaffold experimental design skills, Journal of Chemical Education, 2019, DOI: 10.1021/acs.jchemed.8b00511.
- Agustian, H. Y., and Seery, M. K., Reasserting the role of pre-laboratory activities in university chemistry laboratories: a proposed framework for their design. Chemistry Education Research and Practice 2017, 18(4), 518-532. DOI: C7RP00140A (free access)
- Hennah, N.; Seery, M. K., Using Digital Badges for Developing High School Chemistry Laboratory Skills. Journal of Chemical Education 2017, 94 (7), 844-848. (Awarded ACS Editors’ Choice, so is free to access).
- M. Seery, Take it easy on the equations. Let me explain, Education in Chemistry, 2018, September.
- M. Seery, There’s a badge for that, Education in Chemistry, 2017, March.
- M. K. Seery, H. Y. Agustian, E. D. Doidge, M. M. Kucharski, H. M. O’Connor and A. Price, Developing laboratory skills by incorporating peer-review and digital badges, Chemistry Education Research and Practice, 2017, 18(4), 518-532, DOI: 10.1039/C7RP00003K (free access). See Project Website here.
- A. M. Farrell and M. Seery, Making chemical language easy, Education in Chemistry, 2016, September (free access)
- M. Seery, Learning to write in chemistry, Education in Chemistry, 2016, March (free access).
- M. Seery, CVs for the 21st Century, Education in Chemistry, 2016, March (free access).
- Seery, M.K., Using digital technology to assess experimental science. The Royal Society, Assessing experimental science in 11-18 education: new research directions, 2016.
- M. K. Seery, Student Engagement with Flipped Chemistry Lectures, Journal of Chemical Education, 2015, 92 (9), pp 1566–1567.
- M. Seery, Putting chemistry in context, Education in Chemistry, 2016, November (free access).
- M. K. Seery, Flipped learning in higher education chemistry: emerging trends and potential directions, Chemistry Education Research and Practice, 2015, 16, 758-768. (open access).
- M. Seery, A change to reflect (editorial), Education in Chemistry, 2014, September (free access).
- M. K. Seery and C Mc Donnell, The Application of Technology to Enhance Chemistry Education (Editorial), Chemistry Education Research and Practice, 2013, 14 (1), 225-226. (free access link)
- M. Seery, Talking Technology, Education in Chemistry, 2013, 50(6), 16 – 19. (free access)
- M. Seery, Harnessing Technology in Chemistry Education, New Directions, 2013, 9(1), 77 – 87. (free access, link)
- Saving Paper, 2013, Education in Chemistry, 2013, 50(2), 22 – 25. (free access)
- Jump-starting lectures, Education in Chemistry, 2012, 49(5), 22-25. (free access)
- M. K. Seery, Moving an in-class module online: a case study for chemistry, Chemistry Education Research and Practice, 2012, 13 (1), 39 – 46. [Link to Journal (free access)]
- Podcasting: Support and Enrich Chemistry Education, Education in Chemistry, 2012, 49(2), 19-22. [Link to article (free access)
- M. K. Seery* and R. Donnelly, The implementation of pre-lecture resources to reduce in-class cognitive load: A case study for higher education chemistry, British Journal of Educational Technology, 2012,43(4), 2012 667–677. [Link to Journal]
- M. K. Seery*, The Role of Prior Knowledge in Undergraduate Performance in Chemistry – A Correlation-Prediction Study, Chemistry Education Research and Practice, 2009, 10. 227 – 232. [Link to Journal (free access)]
- C Mc Donnell, C O’Connor and MK Seery*, Developing practical chemistry skills by means of student-driven problem based learning mini-projects, Chemistry Education Research and Practice, 2007, 8(2), 130 – 139. [Link to Journal (free access)] (Special issue on Experiments and the Laboratory in Chemistry Education)
- MK Seery*, L Clarke, SC Pillai, The Use of Titanium Dioxide-Mediated Photocatalysis in the Treatment of Wastewater: An Undergraduate Laboratory Experiment, Chemical Educator, 2006, 11, 1-3.