I regularly run workshops and the details below outline typical content within the themes:
- Writing and getting published
- Laboratory education
- Online and distance education
- NSS and “tricky issues”: change management
Within these general themes, I am flexible to work with hosts to ensure best fit for intended audience: ultimately I want them to be as useful as possible. All workshops align with the AdvanceHE framework for Fellowship accreditation, and where workshops are delivered as part of institutional teaching and learning programmes, I work with host to ensure learning outcomes are aligned with programme goals.
If there is a topic of interest that is not listed below, contact me. If I can’t do it, I will likely be able to recommend someone who can!
1. Writing and getting published
- Getting published in education: This is one of my most popular workshops and I have been running it in some form since 2013. Its focus is on helping participants publish their scholarship of teaching and learning/education research publication.
- SoTL Writing Bootcamp (new for 2022!): In response to a common query regarding finding time and motivation, this day-long workshop aims to help participants use a set-aside day to write as much as possible for a scholarship of teaching and learning or education research publication. It is structured around a series of structured writing activities over a day, where along with some structured prompts, I work with individuals using mini-review discussions throughout the day to help with direction and maintain motivation.
- Teaching academic writing: Teaching academic writing – especially outside humanities subjects – is often not explicit, and students can find major pieces of writing challenging. This workshop takes the form of “teach the teacher”, sharing how best to build a support programme for student writing for major pieces of work such as essays and final year theses.
2. Laboratory education
- Developing a laboratory curriculum: This is another of my most popular workshops, and focusses on working with participants to design a comprehensive and progressive laboratory curriculum in science qualifications. I also deliver this workshop to programme teams who are redesigning laboratory curricula, and in that case, this workshop is ideally day-long, with engagement from academic and technical staff, and students.
- Training to be a laboratory Graduate Teaching Assistant (Demonstrator): Graduate teaching assistants (also called demonstrators) are the backbone of many institutions’ delivery of laboratory education and this workshop focusses on training for laboratory teaching and assessment, as well as guidance for achievement of the status AFHEA.
3. Online and distance education
- Teaching for online and distance learning: ODL is becoming increasingly of interest in the post-COVID world. This workshop focusses on headline considerations for online and distance education, considering in turn design and delivery, engagement and support, and assessment and feedback. Participants looking to “translate” in-class materials to ODL delivery will be encouraged within the workshop to think about challenges and opportunities the different delivery approaches bring.
- Designing materials for online and distance learning: Taking a deep dive into learning design, this workshop focusses on the theory and practice of designing for online and distance learning, through lenses of student cognition and engagement. This workshop can be delivered alongside Teaching for ODL or as a separate event.
4. NSS and “tricky issues”: change management
The NSS is a major force in UK higher education and whatever about the (many!) flaws, it is a significant driver for strategic change. Other “tricky issues” relating to retention or engagement, or from external examiners’ reports may also be persistent despite work to address them.
I am available to work with programme directors and teams to engage in analysis and subsequent development of strategic plans to lead to sustainable change, usually through institutional QA and QE processes. For more details on support available and to see if I can help, please contact me.