In February I gave my Inaugural Lecture to celebrate the awarding of the Chair in Chemistry Education. The lecture was recorded, and I am grateful to the folks at Academic Audio Transcription who have undertaken the very tough task of transcribing my very strange accent, so that I can now share the lecture with subtitles. As well as introduction (~4 mins) the lecture is in three parts – learning in the lab, a bit about me, and work around student inclusion. If you are interested in some of the aspects mentioned in this lecture, some follow-up links are below, which themselves give the references and people who have underpinned my own work. Enjoy!
- Agustian, H. Y., & Seery, M. K. (2017). Reasserting the role of pre-laboratory activities in chemistry education: a proposed framework for their design. Chemistry Education Research and Practice, 18(4), 518-532. https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2017/RP/C7RP00140A#!divAbstract
- Hennah, N., & Seery, M. K. (2017). Using digital badges for developing high school chemistry laboratory skills. Journal of Chemical Education, 94(7), 844-848. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.jchemed.7b00175
- McDonnell, C., O’Connor, C., & Seery, M. K. (2007). Developing practical chemistry skills by means of student-driven problem based learning mini-projects. Chemistry Education Research and Practice, 8(2), 130-139. https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2007/RP/B6RP90026G#!divAbstract
- Murray, C. and Seery, M. K., Breaking Chemical Bias website: https://breakingchemicalbias.wordpress.com/
- Seery, M. K., Agustian, H. Y., & Zhang, X. (2019). A Framework for Learning in the Chemistry Laboratory. Israel Journal of Chemistry, 59(6-7), 546-553. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ijch.201800093
- Seery, M. K., Jones, A. B., Kew, W., & Mein, T. (2018). Unfinished Recipes: Structuring Upper-Division Laboratory Work To Scaffold Experimental Design Skills. Journal of Chemical Education, 96(1), 53-59. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.jchemed.8b00511
- Seery, M. K., Agustian, H. Y., Doidge, E. D., Kucharski, M. M., O’Connor, H. M., & Price, A. (2017). Developing laboratory skills by incorporating peer-review and digital badges. Chemistry Education Research and Practice, 18(3), 403-419. https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2017/RP/C7RP00003K#!divAbstract
- Seery, M. K. and Mc Donnell, C. (Eds.), Teaching Chemistry in Higher Education: A Festschrift in Honour of Professor Tina Overton, Creathach Press, Dublin. https://overtonfestschrift.wordpress.com/.
- Seery, M. K., & Donnelly, R. (2012). The implementation of pre‐lecture resources to reduce in‐class cognitive load: A case study for higher education chemistry. British Journal of Educational Technology, 43(4), 667-677. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1467-8535.2011.01237.x